Since moving to London on the weekend, I have set myself a few goals. One of which is to become fitter and live a healthier lifestyle. Im not saying I was unhealthy before, but I occasionally had junk food (who doesn’t love a takeaway now and again?!), I often skipped the gym, often only slept for 5/6 hours a night and I wasn’t consistent with my diet or skincare routine. This is something I want to actively improve on in the coming months, so that I reach a point where I am comfortable within myself and strong enough to keep on track with all of these things.
Having implemented these 6 steps into my own life, I have really started to see improvements in different aspects of myself and this guide will hopefully help you to become a happier, healthier you!
PART ONE | LEMON WATER DETOX & SUPPLEMENTS
I have always been someone who needs to constantly be drinking water. I really feel like my body tells me when I am dehydrated and I start to feel slightly nauseas and get headaches, so because of this I always carry a bottle of water on me to keep hydrated on the go! The daily recommendation (NAM) of water is 2.7 litres (11 cups) for the average woman and 3.7 litres (15 cups) for the average man. This may seem like a lot to some people but if you actually set yourself to drink this you will start to feel a lot better within yourself. Adding lemon is something I have started doing to really cleanse my system.
Drinking lemon water is a tip that I urge everyone to start adding into their daily morning routine. I add 2 whole slices of lemon (cut into 4 halves) to a glass of room temperature water. Using hot water is also a good trick to really infuse the water with lemon but personally I am not a fan of drinking warm water. I let my glass stand in the fridge for 10 minutes or so before drinking, to let the lemon slices settle and soak into the water to make it full of flavour. The flavour is subtle but the benefits are huge!
- Aids digestion and detoxes your body: Enzymes in your body are stimulated by lemon water which can help decrease bloating and help flush out toxins. Lemons are filled with different acids that help to digest the beneficial nutrients in your food.
- Makes your skin glowing! Drinking this really helps to reduce wrinkles due to the collagen that vitamin C in lemons helps your body to produce.
- Pectin aids in helping you feel full for a longer period of time, this is a beneficial kind of fiber that lemons contain. (Im sure many of you will be happy to know this helps with weight loss!)
When I was younger I never really knew or paid attention to the benefits of supplements. Im sure like myself, when many of you were younger, your parents used to get you to have a vitamin c chewable tablet daily, or take a cod-liver oil tablet. My mum did and I never really knew what the vitamins were doing to my body or what changes they could make to my lifestyle. Since becoming an adult and really starting to take care of my body I have restarted taking 4 different supplements every morning which I really feel will improve my health.
Cod Liver Oil with Vitamins A+D
- This supplement really helps with strengthening your bones. It contains Omega-3 fatty acids which have proven to lower inflammation, lower high blood pressure and preventing diabetes.
A-Z Multivitamins + Minerals
- Vitamins A, C & D help to maintain a healthy immune system, vitality and nutritional balance, while Vitamins B1, B2 & B6 help to release energy.
Evening Primrose Oil
- This supplement is aimed more for womens health as it contains Vitamin E. This contributes to the protection of cells from oxidative stress.
Green Tea Capsules
- This is packed with so many nutrients. It contains catechins, which function as powerful antioxidants. Personally, I do not drink hot drinks like herbal teas (I just don’t like them) so this is a perfect way to make sure I get the nutrients without actually drinking it.
All of these supplements are available to purchase in stores such as Superdrug, Boots and Holland & Barrett. These can start from as low as £1.99 for a container of 30 capsules which is a steal for a months worth of supplements!
I hope these steps begin to help you to start your journey to a healthier lifestyle like they have myself. Stay tuned for Part Two which will be aimed at controlling your diet with my top tips!