I have always loved cooking.. In my earlier teenage years my mum used to help me make dinner for the family every Wednesday night growing up, which is where I found my love for being creative in the Kitchen. Ive always been the type of person who would rather try things myself instead of strictly following recipes, I think it lets you be more free with what you are making!
Pasta has always been one of my favourite types of food, however lately I have been trying to eat it less because with it being the New Year (like most people) I am attempting to be on a health kick.. So far it is going to plan and I’m doing this just to make me feel better and feel healthier within myself. the main things I am doing is eating more protein and clean vegetables/salads and trying to cut down on white carbohydrates so much as they don’t actually have many dietary benefits.
However, as I live by myself I do like to make a few meals that I am able to keep for a few days to meal prep so that over the weekend if I am busy with work I don’t have to worry about cooking again. I love to incorporate some type of meat as a source of protein however I normally use chicken as its very lean and perfect for when going to the gym. This time I wanted to try something different and used Beef as an alternative! It is a perfect, tasty option for this and its so simple to make..
INGREDIENTS: (2 portions)
- 350g Beef Sizzler Steaks (Sainsburys)
- 180g Spaghetti pasta
- 150g Closed Cup Chestnut Mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Red Onion (Thinly Sliced)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 Beef stock cube
- 200ml light cream (or milk if you have flour to thicken)
- Salt & Crushed black peppercorns
- Handful of Parsley
- Parmesan (Grated – optional to serve)
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, adding a pinch of salt. Cook the pasta until Al dente, then drain (keeping back 50ml of liquid for stock) and return the pasta to the pot.
2. Meanwhile, season the steaks by rubbing with a little crushed pepper and salt. Heat one tablespoon of oil to a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the steaks. Cook for approximately 3 minutes turning regularly (medium) or until it is cooked to your liking, then transfer to a board and thinly slice. Cover with tin foil to rest.
3. Dissolve the beef stock cube in the 50ml of liquid from pasta. Add the last table spoon of oil to the same pan and add the chopped onions, chopped garlic and sliced mushrooms. Cook for approximately 5 minutes until browned string occasionally. Add the beef stock water let simmer for 2 minutes. The stir in the cream and pepper corns and mix together until heated through and cream should turn a light brown colour from all of the flavourings.
4. Add the beef back to the mushroom sauce and toss through the pasta. Divide pasta among bowls and sprinkle chopped parsley and parmesan to serve (optional).
This really is such a simple recipe and its not an expensive meal to make either which is a bonus. So if your like me and love quick and simple but tasty meals then try this beef pasta dish.
I am going to be adding various recipes and different healthy diet ideas in this new ‘food’ category so keep a look out for different meals and treats made by me this coming year!